how to tell if your cat is pregnant

how to tell if your cat is pregnant

", than expected and we are 90% sure she is pregnant. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 3,462,282 times. By reading this article, you will readily know if your cat is pregnant after 2 or 3 weeks have elapsed. Feeling your cat's belly is sometimes useful but not always accurate. A pregnant cat is often more affectionate or loving towards family members. Behavioral changes in pregnant cats affect their appetite. This was a big help for me, because I've, "My cat has been acting a little funny lately, and what this article has helped to inform me is that my cat might be. X Kitten season starts every springtime. Some veterinarians offer to "remove the pregnancy" or spay a pregnant cat. You'll also be able to tell by her size and weight, since pregnancy tends to cause a noticeable gain in weight. Luckily, how to tell if a cat is pregnant usually comes down to a few common signs, such as: Noticeable weight gain in a few weeks (she'll gain about 2 to 4 pounds in all) Swollen and pink nipples (called "pinking up," this occurs around week three of pregnancy) An X-ray is better for counting fetuses than an ultrasound, though it still isn’t 100% accurate. ★★ Novice. Consult your vet before giving the any medications, including dewormer, to the queen or, after she gives birth, to the kittens. The first thing you need to know about cat pregnancy is how to recognize the signs of pregnancy. This usually happens around the third week of pregnancy. ", male named Bryson. This article was co-authored by Pippa Elliott, MRCVS. During the first two weeks, there will not be any obvious signs of pregnancy. Do cats get aggressive when they're pregnant? How to tell if your cat is pregnant After approximately 15-18 days of a cat pregnancy, you may notice that your pet’s nipples become enlarged and red – this is known as ‘pinking-up’. Pregnant cats are often hungrier than normal to accommodate the nutritional needs of the growing babies. A few days before she gives birth, a pregnant cat will show signs of nesting, when she will start seeking out a quiet place to have her kittens. During the nine-week pregnancy, your cat will go through different physical and behavioral changes. Additionally, your cat will notice the many changes a pregnancy brings to both you and the home environment. In an ideal situation, a cat would give birth after 63 days of pregnancy. The key to spotting this pregnant cat behavior is the disappearance of your cat for long periods of time only for them to be discovered in a secluded place. How to tell if your cat is pregnant – 5 tell-tale signs Look for a characteristic “Burro” shape. The fertilized egg, called a zygote, begins to divide, and by the sixth day starts to develop a digestive system and placenta forms. Domestic female cats become sexually active as the weather gets … Now that you know that your cat is pregnant, you'll next want to ensure she has everything she needs to stay safe during this time. Cat owners already know that these pets have a very particular character that can hardly be compared to any other. How to tell if your cat is pregnant – 5 tell-tale signs Look for a characteristic “Burro” shape It is possible that your cat will not make it to her litter box on time due to the increased pressure on her bladder. Support wikiHow by Pay attention towards the overall shape of the cat. Remember, she is not only eating for one anymore. Do kittens kick in their mother's stomach? The pregnant cat will also experience occasional contractions. I was going to prod the stomach but, "I'm not typically a cat person, but my son has a kitty named Honey, and we thought that she was pregnant. If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. My cats are acting a little off, and I now know that pregnancy is possible. Look for a characteristic ‘burro’ shape Is your cat suddenly eating more or less than normal? Following the quiet phase, however, your cat will go into heat again and continue to go into heat through the period between April and September. That is also when her appetite will increase the most, and now is not the time for watching her weight (unless she was already overweight). ", last few weeks. Female domestic cats become sexually active as the days get longer and the weather gets warmer, typically between spring and fall. ", two answers that are the same. ", for and what to do as the end of her pregnancy nears. So what are pregnant cat syptoms, and how can you tell if your cat is expecting? A pregnant queen will show both physical and character changes which will become more apparent around 3 weeks after breeding. Cat owners already know that these pets have a very particular character that can hardly be compared to any other. I suspect she is in her early, "Wow, this article was extremely helpful. 2. If you suspect your cat might be pregnant, take her to the vet for verification and advice on prenatal care. Thanks! This article helped me a lot because I wasn't sure what to, "Our sweet pea seems to be in heat from Sept - April, and we try to keep her in the house, but she got out. "The photos of a cat in her pregnancy stage helped to be more confidant in determining if my cat is pregnant or not. For the most part, their appetite will increase. "I was concerned with my cat's behavior and some signs of her activity that she doesn't do like she used to. A soft, moist cloth can be used if she will allow it. I think she is going to have a litter! I was previously told three different ages, but now I have, "The information is clear and helpful in order to get a general idea of signs and tips in case of having a pregnant, "I'm pretty sure my daughter's cat is pregnant now! Dr. Elliott, BVMS, MRCVS is a veterinarian with over 30 years of experience in veterinary surgery and companion animal practice. "Very helpful and explains my cat's behavior. They said he was a, "I am rural, and suddenly a beautifully long black cat was living near the house. I have three in a large 30 gallon tank with other fish, and this one seems a lot fatter. Our cat, Shadow, is pregnant and l really needed this info to help keep her happy and healthy! We love our baby very much. Can red nipples be a symptom of a cat being in heat? But most importantly, your cat is most likely going to start searching for a place in your home where she will deliver her litter safely. Without fail, and without spaying or neutering , thousands of newborn kittens will enter the world from the months of spring to fall, when female cats are in heat every 2-3 weeks. Here is an at a glance guide to your cat’s pregnancy from conception to birth, week by week. What a shocker! This article was co-authored by Pippa Elliott, MRCVS. This helps me understand step by step. First things first, is your cat pregnant? Common Signs Your Cat Is Pregnant: A Pet Owner’s Guide. Our tomcat, "All of the info was very good. A pregnant cat is a lot like a human mother in terms of eating habits. Referred to as “pinking up” by veterinarians, this is a normal symptom of pregnancy. There are 5 stages of cat pregnancy, including fertilizing, the early stage, the middle stage, pre-labor, labor, and delivery. The average cat pregnancy lasts 65 to 69 days. The underneath of her belly is white, not sure if that helps at all. Physical Changes. She most likely wants extra comfort and attention during the pregnancy and will likely display more affection to her owners. If you don’t know the exact date of conception, however, you may not have a clear idea of when your cat is ready to go into labor (known as queening). It’s best if you prepare a nest or whelping box for her inside the house. unlocking this expert answer. If your female cat is around a male cat that is not neutered, she could become pregnant again before she is even done weaning her current litter. {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/c\/c8\/Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-1-Version-7.jpg\/v4-460px-Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-1-Version-7.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/c\/c8\/Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-1-Version-7.jpg\/aid27629-v4-728px-Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-1-Version-7.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

License: Creative Commons<\/a>
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/e\/e4\/Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-2-Version-7.jpg\/v4-460px-Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-2-Version-7.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/e\/e4\/Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-2-Version-7.jpg\/aid27629-v4-728px-Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-2-Version-7.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/1\/1c\/Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-3-Version-7.jpg\/v4-460px-Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-3-Version-7.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/1\/1c\/Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-3-Version-7.jpg\/aid27629-v4-728px-Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-3-Version-7.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/4\/4d\/Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-4-Version-7.jpg\/v4-460px-Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-4-Version-7.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/4\/4d\/Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-4-Version-7.jpg\/aid27629-v4-728px-Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-4-Version-7.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/2\/29\/Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-5-Version-7.jpg\/v4-460px-Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-5-Version-7.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/2\/29\/Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-5-Version-7.jpg\/aid27629-v4-728px-Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-5-Version-7.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/8\/87\/Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-6-Version-7.jpg\/v4-460px-Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-6-Version-7.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/8\/87\/Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-6-Version-7.jpg\/aid27629-v4-728px-Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-6-Version-7.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/3\/33\/Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-7-Version-7.jpg\/v4-460px-Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-7-Version-7.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/3\/33\/Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-7-Version-7.jpg\/aid27629-v4-728px-Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-7-Version-7.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/8\/86\/Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-8-Version-7.jpg\/v4-460px-Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-8-Version-7.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/8\/86\/Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-8-Version-7.jpg\/aid27629-v4-728px-Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-8-Version-7.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/5\/56\/Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-9-Version-7.jpg\/v4-460px-Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-9-Version-7.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/5\/56\/Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-9-Version-7.jpg\/aid27629-v4-728px-Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-9-Version-7.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/7\/71\/Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-10-Version-7.jpg\/v4-460px-Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-10-Version-7.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/7\/71\/Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-10-Version-7.jpg\/aid27629-v4-728px-Tell-if-a-Cat-is-Pregnant-Step-10-Version-7.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

assignment_turned_in Registrations
Enter your date of birth
/ /
Please login to view this page.